How to Identify a Bed Bug Infestation
Detecting bed bugs can be tricky since they are small and nocturnal. Adult bedbugs live on the blood of animals or humans and are the size of an apple seed. Bedbugs are a nuisance and we often mistake their bites for mosquito or other insect bites. Bedbugs can be relatively common in residential and commercial spaces such as apartment complexes, hotels, motels and offices. Though bedbugs don’t fly, they can move quickly over floors, walls and ceilings.
It’s best to identify a bed bug infestation before it spreads. Rely on Pestroy inc. for professional extermination of pests, rodents and bedbugs throughout Montreal and the West Island. We have been offering pest control services for over 80 years.
Warning Signs of Bed Bugs in a Commercial Property
Bedbugs can remain undetected in a commercial property for a long time as they tend to avoid well-lit environments. Employees, therefore, won’t get bitten until the bedbugs have adapted their feeding patterns. Even though bedbugs don't spread diseases, their bites can lead to itchy red spots on the skin. In a commercial space, bedbugs usually live underneath raised floors, in folders and files or even in computers and the inside of a power outlet. They move around the commercial space and the other floors within the same building through files, boxes or personal items. The infestation can also start at the reception and lounge areas, file storage and copiers. As commercial properties are cleaned at night, bedbugs can also infest cleaning materials such as vacuum cleaners.
Signs that show a bed bug infestation in your commercial property are:
- Look for physical signs such as reddish stains, dark spots, live or dead bed bugs, sticky eggs that are about 1mm shed by immature bedbugs (nymphs) when they grow larger on walls or furniture
- Check the furniture in your commercial property using a magnifying glass for black dots (feces) or any transparent bedbug shells. Also, inspect the wood panelling and creases of fabric for any black specks or white larvae
- Use a flashlight to check the edges of carpet for any shells or larvae
- Educate your staff to take precautions and reduce anxieties regarding bed bug infestations
- Monitor your workplace and maintain a schedule so your employees can check for the infestation in their cubicle. Ensure there is no panic amongst your employees regarding the infestation
- Before purchasing any second-hand furniture inspect it for bed bug infestation
- Avoid clutter as it serves as a hiding spot for bedbugs around your commercial property.
- Investigate books, telephones and electrical outlets for black or dark red specks
Tips for Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs can hide in between cushions, curtain folds, under loose wallpaper and also screw heads. Since bed bugs are small, they can be found anywhere, even in clean spaces. Some tips that you can follow are:
- Regularly inspect all areas for signs of infestation
- Take special care while unpacking new shipments and check each item carefully
- Hire professional exterminators to control bed bug infestations. They will recommend best treatment options, such as fumigation services, for your commercial property
Bed bugs can disrupt your work schedule and harm your business reputation—vacuum carpets and area around the furniture to prevent bed bug infestation. Seek help from a licensed company that specializes in bedbug extermination. Pestroy Inc. offers eradication of bedbugs, insects and pests from your commercial space. We use control and monitoring devices, exclusion measures, inspection procedures and other non-toxic methods to get rid of bed bugs. We also offer a wide range of fumigation services.
Contact us today for reliable bedbug extermination services from your commercial property.